Friday, November 24, 2006

Movie Meme

A nice little meme I found over on Is That So Wrong?

1. Popcorn or candy?

Popcorn. But mostly I don't eat at the cinema, because other people munching loudly or rustling wrappers bothers me so I feel I shouldn't do it.

2. Name a movie you've been meaning to see forever.

Only one? There are loads. Hundreds. There are even several that I own on DVD but haven't got around to seeing yet. One of those at random: The Lost Weekend. It's one of those films that I keep finding on TCM when I'm channel hopping, and I've always wanted to see it but I hate not seeing things from the absolute beginning, so I have to change over. But I've had the DVD for ages and have no excuses or reasons for not watching it yet.

3. You are given the power to recall one Oscar: Who loses theirs and to whom?

Again, only one? I'm very tempted to pick a screenwriting category. But feel mean taking an award from a writer so instead I'm taking it away from someone I don't have an ounce of respect for. Hand it over Catherine Zeta-Jones. Come on, you knew someone would ask for it back eventually didn't you? Did you really think they choose you over Meryl Streep or Kathy Bates?
My sister has a name for Catherine Zeta Jones but I better not publish it here, I'll be flagged for inappropriate content.

4. Steal one costume from a movie for your wardrobe. Which will it be?

That's difficult. There are many costumes it would be fun to dress up in, but "steal for your wardrobe" would imply something I'd actually wear day to day, so I'm going to go with Uma Thurman's outfit in Pulp Fiction. Maybe that's a bit boring, but I can't think of anything else at the moment.
5. Your favorite film franchise is....

Indiana Jones. But I think they should leave it well alone now.

6. Invite five movie people over for dinner. Who are they? Why'd you invite them? What do you feed them?

William Goldman, John Cusack, Alfred Hitchcock, Jane Campion, Susannah Grant. I'd invite them because they are all people whose work I admire or have been influenced by in some way, so I'd have plenty to pick their brains about and because I think they're a good mix of people. I don't know what I would feed them (what do you feed a dead man?) but we'd drink mojitos. Why? Because I like them.

7. What is the appropriate punishment for people who answer cell phones in the movie theater?
Throw them out, ban them from ever attending that cinema again and sent their picture round to every other cinema in the area, telling the managers not to admit them.

8. Choose a female bodyguard: Ripley from Aliens. Mystique from X-Men. Sarah Connor from Terminator 2. The Bride from Kill Bill. Mace from Strange Days.

Ripley. I don't know if she'd be a better bodyguard than the other ladies, but I think she'd be the best company.

9. What's the scariest thing you've ever seen in a movie?

The Exorcist and The Shining are probably the two films I find most scary. There are any number of terrifying images to choose from the former, but I think the bits that unnerved me the most are the moments when you are waiting for something to happen. That long shot of Regan's bedroom door, shut always chills me. It's the anticipation of what's lurking behind. The Shining achieved something similar with the shots of the little boy on the tricycle, cycling around the hotel - you know something bad is going to happen. Although it took me a long time to shake the image of the woman in the bath from my mind. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

10. Your favorite genre (excluding "comedy" and "drama") is....
Okay, so you're looking for sub-genres here - comedy-drama? drama-comedy? Psychological drama or thriller? Supernatural drama? I really don't have a favourite genre and I don't have any particular genre I would unequivocally steer clear of.

11. You are given the power to greenlight movies at a major studio for one year. How do you wield this power?

It would be about what I wouldn't greenlight, rather than what I would - sequels might be greenlit but only on the condition that the same creative team are on board, same cast etc (unless of course a character is killed off. No City Slickers 2 shenanigans!). No big screen versions of TV shows and no comic book adaptations. No $20m paychecks for stars and no astronomical budgets either. Writers and filmmakers get creative freedom but not unlimited budgets - boundaries can be productive.
12. Bonnie or Clyde?
You can't have one without the other.

13. Who am I tagging to answer this survey?
Anyone who fancies it.

No comments:

Post a Comment