Friday, March 17, 2006

A Few Irish Films, Introduced by The Hoff!


Happy St Patrick's Day from the Hoff! My brother sent me this today, and I'm sure you would agree, it is too fine not to share. For more Hoff beauties, check out www.hoffgallery.com.

On a slightly less surreal note, but continuing the Irish theme, here are a few Irish films I recommend. I'm too tired and a little bit too hungover to write much about these today. So you'll just have to trust me!

In no particular order:

1) I Went Down, 1997. Scr: Conor McPherson. Dir: Paddy Breathnach
Two hapless mismatched criminals and a very talkative hostage.

2)Disco Pigs, 2001. Scr: Enda Walsh. Dir: Kirsten Sheridan
Born on the same day in the same hospital, minutes apart, Pig and Runt's inseperable bond begins to crack days before their 17th birthday.

3)Intermission, 2003. Scr: Mark O'Rowe. Dir: John Crowley
A misguided break-up triggers a series of events between a disparate group of Dubliners.

4) Adam and Paul, 2004. Scr: Mark O'Halloran. Dir: Lenny Abrahamson
Laurel and Hardy on smack.

5) Angel, 1982. Scr/Dir: Neil Jordan
A musician witnesses the murder of a mute girl.

And if that's not enough Irishness, Barbican are celebrating the Beckett Centenary festival with Beckett on Film: The Plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment